Currently, there are several types of FPS counters available for PCs with the Windows operating system. We will show you a list of the best programs to calculate FPS in Windows 10 games.
In this modern world, the gaming industry is growing rapidly and PC gamers have access to different applications to enhance their gaming experience. Well, FPS counter is one of them and it plays an important role when it comes to PC gaming.
But what is an FPS counter?
FPS, or “frames per second,” is primarily the number of frames displayed per second in video games. The frame rate of a game is important, as a higher FPS ensures a smoother gaming experience.
Games with lower frame rates often have choppy action sequences. Therefore, one of the best ways to optimize your game is to increase the frame rate by using a higher graphics card or by reducing the graphics settings.
Here we list the best FPS counter applications along with their descriptions and advantages of using them. Well, there is no shortage of applications that can be used as FPS counters on Windows OS.
Bandicam Screen Recorder
Bandicam Screen Recorder is one of the best applications for frames per second and screen recording. This software mainly displays the FPS count on your PC screen.
Most of the gamers use this software to record online games, but this software also has a special game recording mode. This is one of the best FPS software for Windows that allows you to record online games and monitor the FPS count in games.
You can download and install Bandicam Screen Recorder from its official website. Once installed, the program will start displaying an FPS count in the corner of your PC or laptop screen.
In addition, the software has a maximum frame rate of 120 fps.
In this FPS monitor you can get two FPS counter modes. You can use this software in a trial version, but to access all its features you must purchase it.
Follow the steps to use the FPS counter in Bandicam Screen Recorder on Windows.
- First, download and install Bandicam Screen Recorder on your PC.
- Once installed, launch the application and go to settings.
- From the options given in the settings, navigate to the Frame Rate or FPS option.
- Enable FPS and set the application to the preferred position on the computer screen.
- Start the game and check the FPS count.
Fraps is also one of the best fps counter applications for Windows. But it is also a reference software that allows you to easily add an FPS counter to your DirectX or OpenGL games.
However, Fraps has not received any updates for a long time and its official website shows that it is compatible with Windows 10. But it works well on Windows OS and you can easily use it as an FPS counter application.
To get it, you need to visit its official website, download and install it. You can also purchase its license to get all the features. In the free version, you cannot record the game for a long time, but you can still access the FPS counter settings.
Fraps includes an FPS tab where you can customize the counter parameters. You can place the FPS counter in any corner of your screen. Programmable hotkeys are also used to enable/disable FPS counter override.
Step-by-step instructions to enable Fraps on Windows.
- First, run the Fraps application on your PC.
- Navigate to the application settings. After that, select the FPS tab.
- Check the FPS box in the Benchmarks section.
- Select the corner of the screen to display FPS.
- To show/hide it, set a switch.
- Start the game.
- When you press the switch, FPS will appear in a corner.
Nvidia GeForce Experience
Nvidia GeForce Experience is also one of the best FPS counter applications for Windows 10 and Windows 11. If you own a gaming PC with a Geforce graphics card and a high-end GPU, you can enhance your gaming windows with Nvidia GeForce Experience monitor along with FPS count.
Here are the steps to follow to get FPS counts in Geforce Experience.
First, download Nvidia GeForce Experience.
- Open GeForce Experience and select the settings icon in the upper right corner.
- Enable the game interface in the “General” tab.
- Select the Settings option.
- Then choose a HUD layout.
- Go to the FPS Counter tab.
- Select the corner of the screen to display FPS.
- Start the game and press Alt + Z.
- The FPS counter will be displayed.
If you own a PC or laptop with a built-in Nvidia graphics card, this is one of the best software to enhance your gaming experience. Because this software has many features that you can use to play games easily on PC.
Dxtory is a Fraps-like application for capturing in-game screenshots and recording online games. This software is mainly used to record video games for DirectX and OpenGL games.
In addition, the application has a FPS counter mode in the upper left corner. The Overlay Settings tab in Dxtory contains some setting options for the FPS counter. The colors of movie (or game) overlays and screenshots can be changed.
The application also has other features, such as it can apply states to the recording overlay frame rate in-game and without recording.
Here are the steps to follow to enable the FPS counter in Dxtory.
- Download and install the Dxtory application on your system.
- Once installed, launch the Dxtory application from the start menu or from the desktop icon.
- Then, in the navigation bar, go to Settings.
- From the given options, select FPS or Frame Rate and enable it.
- Launch the game on your computer and enjoy.
Adrenalin Edition is similar to the Nvidia GeForce Experience application. Adrenalin Edition was developed by AMD for AMD GPUs. You can only use this software if you are using a PC or laptop with a built-in AMD GPU.
In short, if your computer does not have AMD, you will not be able to use Adrenalin Edition.
The software has a variety of gaming features that help you enhance your gaming experience like a GeForce. That said, it’s a very good option for owners of AMD graphics rigs.
Here are some of the features you get in Adrenalin Edition.
- Gaming monitor
- Online game recording.
- Adjust game displays.
- Frame rate tracking.
FPS Monitor is also one of the best FPS counter applications for Windows. However, to use this application, you must purchase it. The features that you can access in this tool include: tracking CPU usage, RAM usage, network usage, GPU usage and HDD usage and many more.
In this software you can also create your own custom FPS overlay tracks. This allows you to use specific fonts with unique colors and specific text outlines in the FPS overlay while watching the game.
Here are the steps you need to follow to use FPS Counter in this application.
- Download and install FPS Monitor on your PC.
- Once the installation is complete, run the application.
- Go to the settings and enable the FPS counter.
Pre-installed Windows 10 FPS counter
Windows 10 and Windows 11 come preloaded with many useful applications, including an FPS counter. The application works with the Windows 10 game bar and you don’t need to download or install any applications on your system.
All you need to do is place the FPS Counter app on your desktop screen and monitor the FPS count while playing games on your PC.
Here are the steps you need to follow to use FPS Counter on Windows 10 or 11.
- First, start any video game on your PC.
- Now, press the Windows + G buttons simultaneously to open the Windows Game Bar.
- After this, simply enable the performance widget.
- Select the FPS tab of the application.
- Drag the application to the preferred location on the PC screen.
- After this, click on the pin icon to pin the application.
The Razer Cortex is also a great tool for PC gamers to enhance their gaming experience with this software. Basically, the software automatically accelerates the performance of the console as well as the graphics of the supported video games.
With the help of this tool, you can unleash the full potential of your computer and enhance your gaming experience by simply boosting the system performance along with tracking the FPS counter coverage.
Razer Cortex currently supports Windows 10, Windows 11, Windows 8 and Windows 7. If you are running an older version of Windows, such as Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will not be able to use this software on your computer system. To do this, you must upgrade your PC to the latest version of the Windows operating system.
Here are the steps to follow to use the FPS counter on your Razer Cortex.
- First, download and install Razer Cortex on your PC.
- After that, launch the application from the desktop icon or from the start menu.
- Go to “Settings” and tap “Enable FPS counter”.
- Run games on your PC and keep track of the FPS counts.
Steam in-game overlay
If you play Steam video games on a computer system running the Windows operating system, you can easily use the FPS counter feature built into the Steam game interface that allows you to keep track of your FPS count.
Steam is an excellent application that is fully developed for gamers and has many features that you can use to enhance your gaming experience easily. It includes FPS counter overlay track.
Here are the steps to follow to use the FPS counter in the Steam interface.
- First, launch the Steam application on your PC.
- Go to Steam Settings from the navigation bar.
- After that, select the game tab.
- Now just open the FPS counter drop-down menu in the game.
- Select the preferred location on the PC screen.
- Now, start the game and press Shift + Tab to enable it.
MSI Afterburner is a graphics card software that allows you to easily track all graphics card activity on your system. Well, this tool is mainly used to block or underload your system GPU.
These tools have advanced tools to monitor your system activity such as CPU usage, GPU overheating, gaming experience and more. It also has an FPS counter feature that allows you to keep track of your in-game FPS counter.
Below are the steps you need to follow to use the FPS counter in MSI Afterburner on Windows 10 or 11. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions to enable the FPS counter.
- Download and install MSI Afterburner on your PC.
- Start the application and go to the application settings.
- After that, select the Monitoring tab.
- Navigate to the option called Framrate and enable it.
- Then enable “Show on screen”.
When you start the game, the FPS counter will start displaying on your PC screen.
You may have noticed that you have a very good option for measuring FPS on your Windows computer. Most of them are free to use, but you can also use some paid ones if you want to go to the next level.
For most requirements, the free FPS is sufficient, even the default settings in Windows. See our list and go ahead and download one that is suitable for you.