We are all going to need a video converter at some point. With our mobile device we record what we see, at any time and in any place. When we got home we transferred the video to our computer to make some tweaks and other changes.
It’s not the first time we’ve talked about an application of this type , a program capable of converting between various video formats. HandBrake is an open source application capable of converting between different formats.
It supports the most popular file types and, by including all possible codecs , it does not present any problem when it comes to obtaining a video of a certain model, whatever the original file. It is also a multiplatform tool, capable of working without problems on Windows, macOS and Linux.
What does HandBrake offer?
After installing and running HandBrake, it is possible to select as output formats those that correspond to the operating system on which it works, or opt for the universal system, which includes all types of existing video files.
It is a very easy tool to use if we only select the basic options. There are also advanced options prepared for users who have some knowledge in the field of video. The results, in any of the cases, are totally satisfactory, with high-quality videos.
Among the characteristics that distinguish this application, in addition to those already indicated, the following stand out:
- It shows some preset settings, whatever the device on which the video is going to be displayed, which facilitates the conversion.
- It is capable of processing any multimedia file, including those stored on DVD and BluRay drives, as long as they do not have any copy restrictions.
- Thus, if we opt for the version to be used on computers with macOS, they stand out among the output formats MP4 (M4V) and MKV.
- Supports H.264 (x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8 and Theora video encoders, as well as AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, FLAC, AC3 or Vorbis audio encoders, among others. others.
- They can be added to the videos, in addition to the title, the name of the chapter and other elements.
- It also supports the inclusion of subtitles.
- Includes support for VFR and CFR.
- Includes several video filters.
- Allows the preview of the video to be encoded.
To get this application you have to access HandBrake . You just have to select the download that corresponds to a certain system, with versions, in the case of Windows, 64 and 32 bits.
As we already indicated, it is an open source application with the GNU General Public License, version 2. It is a free application, which has just released a new version today.