All of us who have a website need to use a system that shows us its statistics. At the moment there are not many services in this field that offer efficient work. Thus, for example, we can opt for Matomo , although we should never disdain Google Analytics .
In 2006 Google Analytics entered the scene . Over the years it has undergone changes, some of notable incidence. Until July 1, 2023, one of the best-known and most used versions, known as Universal Analytics, will still be active.
Everyone using Universal Analytics has been encouraged for some time to create a Google Analytics 4 (GA4) property. By doing so and activating it on the website, they will discover, when they access the statistics page, that they have undergone notable changes compared to the previous version, which will still be active.
How to activate Google Analytics 4 (GA4)
We assume that we have an active Universal Analytics account. From it we will create a new property, which will define Google Analytics 4 (GA4) . These are the steps to follow:
- We log in to Google Analytics and click on Manage at the bottom left .
- Normally we have only one account created, the one that appears in the Account column . In the options of the second column, the one that corresponds to Property , click on the first option: GA4 Configuration Wizard .
- We will have to accept the creation of a new Property , to which we must assign a name.
- After finishing the creation process, we must continue with the second option: Property configuration . In it we must indicate the Category of the sector , selecting the one that best suits our website from the list offered, the reporting time zone and the displayed currency .
- Normally, the Property Access Management appears already implemented. If we want to change it, we must proceed to it.
- We must indicate the Data Flow , setting the various options that are offered to us: thus, for example, we will be able to Manage connected site tags , among other options.
- If we click on Configure label options and then click on Installation instructions , we will be able to Install with a website creator , select one of those that are shown, or opt for Install manually .
- In addition to what is indicated, we can activate and set another series of options. We will only have to examine one by one and make the selection that we want among those that are offered to us.
Tracking Code Installation
In addition to using the manual installation , designed for expert users, there are valid plugins or extensions for different content managers. If we use WordPress, I recommend using Site Kit , but there are others.