Playing video and audio files on our computer requires a suitable application. VLC is one of the most powerful and versatile, but there are others.
SMPlayer belongs to this group. It is a free multimedia player that works on Windows, Linux and also on Chromecast, which incorporates all the necessary elements ( codecs ) in order to support all types of files. No need to install any external codec .
Media player for Windows, Linux and Chromecast: SMPlayer
After downloading and installing the application on our computer we will be able to listen to any audio file and/or watch all kinds of videos. The program, after a playback that has been previously set, is capable of storing the information so as not to have to set it again. Playbacks can be interrupted and restarted from where they left off.
Simple and easy interface
SMPlayer uses a very attractive and easy-to-use interface, with interesting functions that make it easy to use. It offers, for example, the ability to download subtitles and play YouTube videos.
It includes a large number of advanced functions, among which are a series of filters for audio and video, the possibility of modifying the playback speed, or adjusting the synchronization between audio and subtitles, among others.
It supports the best-known formats: avi, mp4, mkv, mpeg, mov, divx, h.264… It allows us to adapt the theme that defines the player to our liking. It includes a large number of audio and video filters. It allows the change of playback speed and the synchronization of the audio with the subtitles of a movie. It is available in more than 30 languages, including Spanish.
Among the features offered by SMPlayer, the following stand out:
- Plays the most popular audio and video formats. Thus, the best known include avi, mp4, mkv, mpeg, mov, divx, h.264…
- It can play YouTube videos, and it allows the installation of a plugin that is used to search for videos on the platform.
- It includes a large number of themes or templates.
- Support downloading subtitles.
- It implements a large number of advanced features, such as audio and video filters, playback speed change, audio and subtitle synchronization adjustment, video equalizer… and many more.
- It supports several languages, among which Spanish is included.
- It uses the well-known MPlayer as playback engine.
- It is a free and open source application .
Those responsible for this application tell us the following about it: « One of the most interesting things about SMPlayer: it remembers the options of all the files you play . You start to watch a movie but you have to leave… don’t worry, when you reopen the movie it will continue from the same place where you left it, and with the same options: audio track, subtitles, volume… «
« SMPlayer is a graphical interface (GUI) for the award-winning MPlayer , which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats. But aside from providing access to the most common MPlayer options, SMPlayer includes exciting new features, such as the ability to play Youtube videos or download subtitles .”
To get this application you have to access SMPlayer . As we have indicated, it is a free Open Source application , with a GPL license, which uses MPlayer as a playback engine. Now also works with mpv .