Yes, Desmos is a powerful scientific calculator that can be used in any web browser or through the apps that exist for iOS and Android devices. It is a free tool valid for a large number of students and teachers, as well as for other people, who frequently or occasionally have to perform mathematical calculations, with graphics as fundamental elements.
If we go to the web page that supports the application, we will see, after clicking on the Graphing Calculator button , a notable set of functions. It supports graphing functions, manipulating data, solving equations, exploring different types of operations, and much more.
The best thing to start with is to create an account. To do this you can use the one you have in Google, or add an email address, a username and a password.
What does Desmos offer?
As we can deduce from the above, Desmos is a graphing calculator that uses a powerful engine to get the appropriate results based on the requests made.
So, for example, if we display an equation, we’ll quickly see how it turns into a series of graphs. It doesn’t matter if we refer to straight lines or parabolas, it supports all types of mathematical functions.
To achieve what we want, it is possible to use sliders, which is very valid to obtain the results we want quickly and easily.
Among the characteristics that define Desmos, the following stand out:
- Graph creation : Allows you to draw polar, Cartesian or parametric graphs. There is no limit to the number of expressions that can be used at one time.
- Sliders : You can interactively adjust values to get what you want. You can also animate any parameter to visualize its effect on the graph.
- Tables : The given values and those of the creation of graphs are valid for any function. It is also possible to add new values within the already created tables.
- Statistics : Within the results, it is advisable to keep what best suits them.
- Zoom : An adjustment of the scale of the axes can be carried out independently or, at the same time, with the pinch of two fingers on the mobile device. It also supports editing the window size manually to get the perfect window.
- Points of interest : Click on a curve to show its maximum, minimum and intersection points. If you touch the gray points of interest you can see their coordinates. If you move your finger along a curve you will see how the coordinates change.
- Scientific calculator : Just write any equation you want to solve and Desmos will show you the solution. You can handle square roots, logarithms, absolute values, and more.
- Inequalities : It also shows the graphs of Cartesian and polar inequalities or inequalities.
- Offline : To use the application on mobile, Internet access is not required.
Those responsible for this tool tell us the following about it:
« At Desmos , we are on a mission to help every student learn math and love learning math. We achieve this goal by creating trusted products and meaningful partnerships .”
To get this application you have to access Desmos . If we want to install it on our mobile device, we must access the App Store , for iOS, and Google Play , for Android. As we have already indicated, it is a free tool.